The current Meulenberg Transport company has its origins in sand and gravel.
In 1921, in the Dutch town of Urmond, Frits Meulenberg opened a quarry with a maximum surface area of 10 hectares. As a
matter of course, his six sons went to work for the company retaining ties to the family business throughout their entire
working lives. Representing the company’s third generation, Wil Meulenberg has been managing director since 1996.
In the early days, transport of sand and gravel took place by horse and cart. Later, the company used small lorries. Articulated
lorries only came on the scene after WW II, initially with tipper and tilt carts. During that period, Meulenberg was already
carrying coal and fertilizer for the State Mines, now part of DSM. The 1960’s saw an expansion of goods transport carrying
plastics to ltaly.
With the arrival of sea containers in the early 1970’s Meulenberg branched out in an new direction. Container transport of DSM
to the port of Rotterdam quickly became the main industrial activity.
The 1990’s saw another shift. Following the opening of a barge terminal in Born, DSM switched container transport from the
road to the water. For Meulenberg, this represented a major drain on resources, which nevertheless served as a catalyst for
the development of a formula geared towards the future: intermodal transport. The wisdom of this choice is attested to the
fact that the company’s turnover has nearly multiplied by five since 1995, with excellent future prospects.